Monday, November 14, 2011

Five in a Row Goes to the Library

Today we made our first very brave, very eventful trip to the library since Josiah was born.  Mommy was very proud of her little clan, even if there were some disapproving stares from bystanders.  The kids behaved very well - each according to their age and ability - all mature and respectful, so those who disapprove just because there are MORE of them are the ones with the problem! :)

The only big glitch we had was that Daniel had a little accident (just #1, thank goodness!) in his underwear.  A sweet mother with a 3-year-old saw me juggling books and babies and a wet little boy, and came over to the rescue!  She offered to hold Josiah and watch the other three while I took Daniel to the restroom.  Valerie, you kind stranger, wherever you are - you rock!! :)

Otherwise, all went well and we came home with 15 books (didn't have room for much more than that; might have to bring a wagon with us next time ... or start looking on Craiglist for one of those book carts that teachers use).

We borrowed:
 (For Mom) Motivated Minds: Raising Children to Love Learning - by Deborah Stipek, Ph.D., and Kathy Seal
(For Mom) The Read-Aloud Handbook - by Jim Trelease
Harold's Purple Crayon Treasury - by Crockett Johson (Abby's request)
The Napping House - by Audrey Wood
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile - by Bernard Waber
Millions of Cats - by Wanda Gag
The Seven Silly Eaters - by Mary Ann Hoberman
John Henry - by Julius Lester
Pony Island - by Candice F. Ransom (Corbin's request)
Flowers from Mariko - by Rick Noguchi & Deneen Jenks (Abby's request ... Mommy needs to read through it first, though)
Don't Worry Wags - by Christophe Loupy & Eve Tharlet (Daniel's request)
The Acrobat & The Angel - by Mark Shannon & David Shannon (Corbin's request ... Mommy needs to read through it first)
The Rattlebang Picnic - by Margaret Mahy
Too Many Toys - by David Shannon
Good Boy, Fergus - by David Shannon

I'll be back soon with some reviews once we have gotten a chance to dig in!  Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Love Seven Silly Eaters! Sounds like a fun day at the library. What a gift that the Lord sent a willing hand at just the right moment. :)

    I like the idea of posting your book lists and reviews. I may start adding that to our blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who stare are just dumbfounded that a woman can juggle five children so wonderfully, and keep them well behaved! Our library has a "Toddler story time" tomorrow, you have inspired me to attempt a trip! Kiss my niece and nephews for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it the RR Library? I guess it would be P'ville.
    You are super mom. ;o)
    I was just asking, because as we were coming home from the library today, I saw my neighbor Valarie driving in that general direction. Probably not the same Valarie, but I'm thankful for her kindness to you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy - that would be great!! I'd love to see what y'all are reading in your home! :)

    Kim - you are too kind, and ever so biased ;) Bring my nephews over to see me and then you can kiss your niece and nephews for yourself! :o)

    Cheryl - yes, it was the Pville library (even though I MUCH prefer the RR one!) It was so sweet to have a complete stranger go out of their way to help me ... made me want to "pass it on"!

    ReplyDelete