Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lists, Lists, Everywhere!

One thing that I could not live without as I walk along this path of reading with my children is suggestions from others.  Whether a list made by another like-minded mommy of her family's reading conquests, a list made by the American Library Association of award winning books, or just word-of-mouth about great children's literature, I would be completely overwhelmed without these nudges in the right direction!  There is so much literature out there that you can feel as if you are drowning when you just jump in on your own.  Suggested reading lists have not only helped keep me from being overtaken by the waves of choices, but also build my confidence in selecting books outside of the suggested as I learn what it is that makes a great book for our family. 

Yet again, let me recommend grabbing some literature review compilation books, such as Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt or The Children's Literature Lovers Book of Lists by Joanne Sullivan.  Books such as these can just live in your library bag and go with you on every trip, offering last minute ideas in a bind.  I have started using my books like these as check lists, marking off books as we go and making it a goal to read them all!

In addition to books about books, the internet has a nearly endless supply of lists about books for the reading parent to print out.  One website that I recently found by The Parker Family has a list of these lists (I think all book lovers must love lists as much as I do!).  Simply Charlotte Mason (a great site for much more than just their book recommendations!) has suggested reading for Charlotte Mason education at different ages.  I've also stumbled upon  many schools -- public, private, homeschool, and charter -- that publish their recommended reading lists online.  For example, I printed out a list from Cornerstone Christian Academy in Arizona for more ideas.  There really is no end to the information at your fingertips on the web!

Lastly, ask around!  Ask family members, ask friends, ask preschool teachers, ask librarians; quiz everyone you encounter with children the same age as yours to find out what they have read or are reading with their family or students.  You will be surprised by some of the gems you can find this way!

One quick warning while I am thinking about it:  read all books on your own before you read them to your children.  While all surely are good-intentioned, not all book suggestions will be coming from those who have the same goals and values as you do.  Look at the source of the recommendation to see if it is a Christian or secular resource, and the proceed with caution either way.  There have been several times where I made the mistake of not reading a book on my own before reading it aloud to my kids, and had to stop right in the middle of a book!  Spare your kids the frustration and confusion -- make sure that what you begin reading to them is something that you are going to want to finish!

Lastly, as we talked about earlier with journaling, make your own lists!  Keep track of the books that you and your family have enjoyed -- not only to share with others, but to remember when you want to go back and reread some of your favorites.  When it comes to reading, lists are your friends!

“It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading. Something that will stretch their imaginations--something that will help them make sense of their own lives and encourage them to reach out toward people whose lives are quite different from their own.”
Katherine Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment